February 05, 2011

diy kitchen island plans


Alright, first off (before you even get to look at pretty pictures!) let me tell you that this is the very first plan I've built using google sketchup. I'm a pen and paper kind of girl but when I started writing these plans and soon realized without google sketchup images this plan was confusing!

So I spent 7 hours on Saturday working my brain to it's limit trying to learn sketchup, It's not as easy as it seems! I hope the google sketchup images make it clearer for you!

Ok, on to the good stuff!


I was very much inspired by the diy Kitchen Island built by Michaela at The Garden's Eden she did an beautiful job, such a beautiful job Ana-White decided to build a plan for it! 



While I loved the original plan, I didn't really feel like attempting drawers and my circular saw doesn't do notching... 

So whats a girl to do? Create her own plan of course!


Shopping List:

15 - 1x2s @ 8ft
4 - 1x4s @ 6ft (or 2 - 1x4s at 10' if you can find them)
6 - 2x4s @ 6ft
4 - 2x6 @ 10ft
2 1/2" Screws
1 1/4" screws
1 1/2" Screws (I prefer Kreg screws to avoid pre-drilling!)
Kreg Jig (seriously love that thing)
Stain, paint, whatever finish you're going for

Cut List:

4 - 2x4 @34 1/2" (Legs)
2 - 2x6 @ 49" (front and back support for counter)
2 - 2x6 @ 17 1/2" (side support for counter)
3 - 1x2 @ 21" (support for counter)
4 - 1x4 @ 49" (shelf support)
56 - 1x2 @ 24 1/2" (shelves)

Start by attaching the side support to the legs using the Kreg jig to drill pocket holes in the side supports and using 2 1/2" screws to attach the legs. Attach the legs with the wider side of the 2x4 flush with the side support.



After you have both sides complete, attach the front and back supports the same way, by drilling Kreg pocket holes into the front and back supports and using 2 1/2" screws.


The white circles should be where you position your pocket holes.

Now flip the whole piece over so the top is on a flat level surface.  Using the Kreg jig drill pocket holes into the ends of the shelf supports and attach each one to the legs at 2 1/2" and 16 1/2" from the bottom using 1 1/2" screws.



Flip it all over again!

Start laying out your shelf pieces, I used a piece of wood cut to the right width for a spacer. Spacing should be about 1/4" using 28 shelf pieces per shelf.

Once you've laid one whole shelf to confirm placement (it takes a little finessing to get it spaced out right, Mr. H did this part without me which resulted in a not so even spacing job!) you can begin to attach the 1x2s using 1 1/4" Kreg screws from the underside to avoid screw holes.




It very important to turn your drill down to the lowest setting needed to screw the pieces in, 1x4s are thin and split fairly easy. I tried using 2x4s and a few other options but nothing looked as nice. As long as you take it slow and use Kreg screws or pre-drill you should be fine.

After your shelves are complete it's time for the counter!


Lay out all 5 2x6s and line them up evenly. Place the 1x2s 2 1/2" from the edge and 3 1/4" from the front (and back) on both sides. Using 1 1/2" screws attach the 1x2s to the counter (2x6s). Place one in the center at 3 1/4" from the front and back and attach.



Place the finished counter on the frame it should fit in snug. Attach using 2 1/2" screws drilled through the side of the 1x2 into the 2x6.




Happy Building!!



p.s. I built this, so I'm fairly confident that the plans are correct, however I can't guarantee them! I'm human I make mistakes. Oh and I'm totally not a carpenter just a girl who likes math and design. Please let me know if you see any mistakes so I can correct them. 

p.p.s. If you build this, please share the finished results I'd love to see them. Also please credit me and link back to here if you decide to use this content in any form. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, impressive! I haven't tried to build any furniture yet, but I'm working up to it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done!!! lovely greetings

    http://design-elements-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Sara- it's so easy to build, you should go for it. (Not to mention it's fun and an awesome arm workout depending on how heavy your drill is ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...