February 09, 2011

diy colette bed - updated




The knock off Crate and Barrell Colette bed tutorial is definitely a popular post! 

Which is why I decided to do an updated tutorial with my newly acquired Google Sketchup skills! I also noticed a few errors in the original, so if you saved the previous tutorial make sure to check this one out! 

First things first I have to shout out Effortless-Style, since it's where I found the original tutorial not to mention it is a really great design/decor/diy blog and definitely worth checking out!



This is for a King size bed, for details on the queen size visit Effortless-Style.

Shopping List

1 - Plywood 3/4" 4x8 sheet
4 - 1x12 @ 8 ft
11 - 1x4 @ 8ft
14 - 1x3 @ 8ft
1 - 2x4 @ 8ft
2 - Prefab feet (6" is what I used)
3 - Plain parsons style feet (same height as above feet)
5 - Heavy duty top plates (found in the same area as the molding and feet/legs)
8 - Nut, bolt and washer sets. (Make sure to get large enough washers!)
2" and 1 1/4" Wood Screws (I love Kreg screws!)
Wood Glue (Gorilla glue is my favorite!) 

Cut List:

Plywood @ 79"           Leave the height uncut
2 - 1x12 @ 80 1/2"     Base sides
2 - 1x12 @ 79 1/2"     front and back of base
4 - 1x4 @ 80 1/2"       Side supports and cleats
1 - 2x4 @ 80 1/2"       Middle support
14 - 1x3 @ 78"           Mattress supports
5 - 1x4 @ 78"             Bottom supports
4 - 1x4 @ 47"             Used to attach headboard to frame

You can click any of the photos to enlarge.





Start by attaching the cleats to sides of the base 1x12 @ 80 1/2" pieces leaving a 3/4" gap at the bottom.



Now assemble your base using wood glue and 2" screws.

** Mount the 80 1/2" pieces inside of the 79 1/2" pieces.



At this point check for square by measuring corning to corner


Flip the base upside down and attach your bottom supports spaced evenly using 1 1/4" screws and wood glue.



Assemble your center support by lining up the remaining two 1x4 (80 1/2") on the outside of the 2x4 and using 2" screws and wood glue to join them.





Flip the base over and screw the center support into the base at the head and foot of the base.



Attach the top plates to the corners using 1 1/4" wood screws (NOT THE SCREWS PROVIDED!) and screw on your feet, using the pretty feet for the front!



Flip the base over and screw the bottom supports into the center support using 1 1/4" screws.




Time to make the headboard!

This is where you're going to need to pull out your artist hat! (or follow Camila's fancy grid idea)

Using a piece of cardboard, or paper, wrapping paper even to draw 1/2 of the curve for the top of the headboard. Cut the template out and then dividing the headboard in half trace the template.


Once you've traced the template use a jigsaw to cut out the shape, take it slow and if you've never used a jigsaw before you may want to practice on a piece of scrap to get the feel for it!

Alright it's time to upholster! I followed Effortless-Style's directions and so should you! Or you could use a piece of foam cut with a knife to follow the shape of the headboard.

Once you've got the bed upholstered, attach the 4 1x4s to the headboard using 1 1/4" screws, spacing evenly.


Now attach the entire headboard to the base of the bed with 1 1/4" screws.


Now this is very important! Do NOT drag the bed, if you do you'll bend the legs and break them! To move the bed pick it up!

Now put your mattress in, make your bed and enjoy it!

Happy Building!



p.s. I built this, so I'm fairly confident that the plans are correct, however I can't guarantee them! I'm human I make mistakes. Oh and I'm totally not a carpenter just a girl who likes math and design. Please let me know if you see any mistakes so I can correct them. 

p.p.s. If you build this, please share the finished results I'd love to see them. Also please credit me and link back to here if you decide to use this content in any form. Thanks!



5 comments:

  1. Thanks, we had to change out the legs after the box spring debacle, I really loved the taller ones but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang girl, that's very well done!

    Your google sketchup sketches look really good too! I tried downloading it, but haven't got a chance to play with it yet. You inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. These are the tutorials I learned the most from! http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job, I'm stunned by that picture of the finished project! WOW

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...