March 03, 2011

easy diy coffee table




If you haven't noticed already I'd much rather spend a day working my tail off to build something then spend the too-high-for-me price to buy it.
So when I needed a new coffee table for the new living room, of course I decided to diy it!

I searched high and low for a coffee table that I loved and could replicate. Of course I searched on Ana-White's site first, since after all it's because of her that I even attempted my very first wood project

I didn't find anything that fit what I wanted but I was definitely inspired by her "Tryde" plan (aka Hyde from Pottery Barn).

So, enough with the talking lets get down to business.


 I wanted a large coffee table and something a little square shaped. 
Dimensions of the table are 38"x48" and the cost was about $30 to build. 




Shopping List:

1 - 6' 2x4
2 - 6' 1x2
3 - 12' 2x6
1 - 6' 2x6
2 1/2" wood screws
1/ 1/2" wood screws

Cut List: 
 7 - 2x6 @ 48"           Top
 2 - 2x6 @ 42 1/2"     Side aprons
 2 - 2x6 @ 29"           Front and back apron
 4 - 2x 4 @ 16"          Legs
 4 - 1x2 @ 32 1/2"     Top Supports

The construction is very similar to the Kitchen Island. 

Click images to enlarge.

Start by attaching your legs to the front and side aprons using 2 1/2" screws and pocket holes.  Overall dimensions should be 36"x46"



 Once you have your legs assembled line all the top pieces evenly and attach the 1x2s at 3" from the top/bottom and 3" from the sides, space the remaining 1x2s evenly. Use 1 1/2" Screws


Now place your top onto your legs and screw the 1x2s into the aprons using 2 1/2" screws.




Told you it was easy!!!

Happy Building!

p.s. I built this, so I'm fairly confident that the plans are correct, however I can't guarantee them! I'm human I make mistakes. Oh and I'm totally not a carpenter just a girl who likes math and design. Please let me know if you see any mistakes so I can correct them. 

p.p.s. If you build this, please share the finished results I'd love to see them. Also please credit me and link back to here if you decide to use this content in any form. Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. Hot damn girl... your house has undergone some transformation! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Plays off the grays so well and warms up the space. Great job as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cool! I love an easy to do project...too fun!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great project. You are wonderful. Enjoy your weekend, my dear
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are incredibly crafty!! This is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome. This is, like, real furniture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...